This section contains a comprehensive list of Hex Editor Neo features. It also contains links to other parts of this documentation that describe a given feature in more detail.
- Instantly opening files of any size
- Hex Editor Neo does not force any limit on file's size. Any file supported by the underlying file system (FAT, FAT32 or NTFS) is supported.
- Working with shared file
- Hex Editor Neo may share edited files with other applications. Should another application make a change to a shared file, Hex Editor Neo detects it and allows you to either discard a change or to merge it with changes in the editor. Automatic file compare may be used to find differences between the current and previous version. As an option, all previous versions of a file may be kept by the editor and used in your work.
- Opening volumes (logical disks)
- Hex Editor Neo supports opening volumes (logical disks) for viewing and editing.
- Opening physical disks
- Hex Editor Neo supports opening physical disks for viewing and editing.
- Opening process memory
- Hex Editor Neo allows you to open virtual memory of any running process for read-only or read-write access.
- Opening computer physical memory (RAM)
- Hex Editor Neo provides a read-only view into the computer physical memory (RAM) - only on supported operating systems.
- Full support for NTFS alternate data streams
Hex Editor Neo fully supports NTFS alternate data streams. A special NTFS Streams Tool Window displays all streams for the currently active file, allows you to delete or rename them, open them for editing or create new streams. In addition, the powerful Find Stream feature allows you to locate all streams on your computer.
- Multiple Selection
Hex Editor Neo widely uses the concept of multiple selection. All Hex Editor Neo commands are fully compatible with multiple selection.
- Selection Saving, Loading and Exporting
Selection object of any complexity can be compressed and saved to the file. Later, you may load this selection and/or merge it with an existing selection using different algorithms. In addition, all ranges in a selection may be copied to the Clipboard or saved to a text file. See the Working with Selection topic for more information.
- Basic File Editing (write, fill, insert, delete, put/insert file, Clipboard operations, change file size, modify bits)
All these commands are described in detail in the Editor Commands documentation section.
- Document Printing
- Hex Editor Neo provides full support for printing documents with configurable margins, coloring, page headers and footers.
- Data encryption and decryption
- A whole document or a part of it may be encrypted and decrypted, using any installed block or stream cipher.
- Data Operations
- A large set of data operation (bitwise, arithmetic, shifts, case change and bit/byte reversing) are provided.
- Text Clipboard Operations
- In addition to basic Clipboard operations (moving data blocks between the same or different documents or exchanging file data with Windows Explorer); Hex Editor Neo is capable of pasting text from the Clipboard. Text may be pasted "as is" or parsed as a sequence of numbers (decimal, hexadecimal, octal or binary). Parsed numbers are then put into the document.
- Different encodings
- Hex Editor Neo supports more than 130 different encodings, configurable separately for each editor window. They are used to interpret and edit document's data in different formats. Starting from version 4.95, UTF-8 encoding is supported as well.
- Find and Find All
Hex Editor Neo provides an extremely efficient implementation of Find and Find All commands. Full support for ECMAScript-compatible regular expressions is provided. The result of a Find All command is a multiple selection - a browseable and easily editable object.
- Replace and Replace All
Hex Editor Neo provides an extremely efficient implementation of Replace and Replace All commands. Full support for ECMAScript-compatible regular expressions is provided. Replace pattern may also be a regular expression.
- Find in Files & Replace in Files
Hex Editor Neo provides you with a simple and effective mechanism of pattern searching and replacing in files residing in different folders. This feature is described in more detail in the Find in Files and Replace in Files sections. Include streams option may be used to add alternate data streams to a search list. Full support for ECMAScript-compatible regular expressions is provided.
- Unlimited Undo & Redo steps
In fact, a more advanced Operation History management is provided by the Hex Editor Neo.
- Operation history browsing
- Hex Editor Neo allows you to instantly switch to any history operation.
- History Save & Load
An entire document's operation history may be compressed and saved to a file and later loaded from it, effectively restoring all operations performed on the document.
- File comparison
- Hex Editor Neo provides two file comparison algorithms, which are fast and accurate and can be used to compare text and binary data files.
Hex Editor Neo includes a disassembler module. The current implementation is capable of disassembling 32-bit x86 code, including support for FPO, MMX, SSE, SSE2 and 3DNow! instruction sets. It also supports disassembling of x64 images and .NET assemblies. Disassembler automatically searches for symbol files and uses the information from them to increase the assembly output readability. The Disassembler View may be connected to ordinary editor window which provides you with another handy data viewing and manipulation tool. The disassembler module works with files and processes' memory and is even automatically updated when you modify the document.
- Patch creation
Hex Editor Neo supports creation of a patch, which represents the changes made to a document. The patch is saved to the file in a compressed format. A patch may then be freely distributed and applied on the same or another computer. A patch may be packaged inside the executable file. A Patch API is also provided to allow programmatic patch installation.
- Editor Window customization
All aspects of an editor window are fully customizable. Several predefined schemes are shipped with a product.
- Displayed data may be grouped as bytes, words, double or quad words and represented as hexadecimal, decimal, octal, binary integer numbers as well as single or double precision floating-point numbers.
Document's data may be represented in one of the listed view types.
- Fully customizable user interface
Hex Editor Neo's interface is fully customizable. You can customize toolbars, tool windows, keyboard shortcuts and editor windows. You even have an option of choosing one of three window switching mechanisms.
- Connecting Editor Windows
- You can connect two editor windows with each other. This synchronizes cursor movement in both windows, which is an extremely useful editing technique in some scenarios.
- Two Built-In Explorer Windows
- Hex Editor Neo hosts two Explorer windows. Use them to browse your file system and network neighborhood. All standard operations are supported, including Clipboard operations and Drag&Drop. Explorer windows are tightly integrated with an editor and Find in Files feature.
- File attributes
The Attributes Tool Window displays current file's attributes and allows you to modify them. It also displays the total number of streams in a file, size of all streams and total size of the file, including its unnamed and named streams.
- Pattern Coloring
Hex Editor Neo can be configured to automatically highlight given patterns in its editor windows. See the Pattern Coloring section for more information. Full support for ECMAScript-compatible regular expressions is provided.
- Data Inspector
Data Inspector Tool Window interprets data under the cursor in several formats. In addition, it supports highlighting data boundaries and allows data modification.
- Base Converter
Base Converter Tool Window provides tools to convert data from one format or encoding into another.
Hex Editor Neo's bookmarks provide you with an extremely flexible way of document navigation. You can define any number of bookmarks groups, exchange data between a bookmarks group and selection, save and load bookmarks and so on. See the Bookmarks section for more information.
- Structure Viewer
The powerful Structure Viewer feature allows you to define data structures and bind them to specific locations in edited files. See the Structure Viewer section for more information.
Hex Editor Neo contains tools that can be used to quickly compute several file statistics. See the Statistics section for more information.
- Advanced Copy & Export
- Hex Editor Neo provides an advanced data conversion tool. Selected binary data from the editor may be processed in a number of formats to produce a text output to be placed into the Clipboard or written to text file. Data may be converted into character string (more than 150 different encodings are supported); packaged as a sequence of numbers (to be put into spreadsheet application, for example) or as programming language array declaration (7 popular programming languages supported). In addition, data may be encoded in Base64, UUencode, Quoted-Printable, Intel HEX or Motorola S-Records formats.
- Checksum Calculation
- Hex Editor Neo supports more than twenty checksum calculation algorithms, including MD5, SHA-1, CRC-16, CRC-32 and others. Custom CRC algorithm is also provided.
- Automatic updates
- Hex Editor Neo can be configured to automatically check for released updates, display a list of changes, download and install updates (by your request).
- File Document Scripting
Hex Editor Neo exposes its root functionality for external programs through automation-compatible ActiveX library. See the Scripting section for more information.
- Native x64 platform support
- Hex Editor Neo natively supports an x64 platform. A number of basic algorithms have been revised and optimized to use the powerful features available on this platform, including larger virtual address space, native wider registers and new processor commands.
- Native support for high-DPI displays
- Hex Editor Neo fully supports high-DPI displays. All Hex Editor Neo's user interface elements, including texts and icons, are properly scaled. As long as all graphics elements are rendered using vector technology, there are no artifacts on high-DPI displays. In addition, Hex Editor Neo allows you to change the size of icons on the main toolbar in a wide range. Hex Editor Neo supports both Windows XP and Windows Vista high-DPI implementations.
- Native support of Windows Vista and its Aero interface
- Hex Editor Neo fully supports the latest Microsoft operating system, Windows Vista (both 32-bit and 64-bit editions). It also takes a full power of its Aero user interface.
- Support of Windows 7
- Hex Editor Neo completely supports Windows 7 and also supports its new taskbar, with configurable task list, recent document list and progress indication.
- Support for Intel HEX and Motorola S files
- File » Open » Open Hex… and Edit » Insert Hex… commands allow the user to convert Intel HEX and Motorola S files to binary form and insert them into the Hex Editor Neo.
- Volume Navigator
- Built-in support for parsing NTFS volume structure, opening file and directory records and data locations. Ability to copy files, directories or entire volumes.