Free Virtual Serial Ports
HHD Software Free Virtual Serial Ports is a software package that allows you to create virtual COM ports.
Created virtual COM port may be used in one of the following ways:
- Connected to a named pipe.
- Connected to another virtual COM port, forming a virtual "bridge" and emulating virtual Null-modem cable.
- Connected to two files. When an application opens a virtual COM port and "reads" data from it, data is read from an input file, and when it "writes" data to a serial port, data is written to the output file.
Technically, the product consists of the following components:
- Free Virtual Serial Ports Device Driver
- This device driver implements the functionality of the virtual serial port device. It operates in user mode space, unlike most other device drivers, making the system more stable and secure.
- Free Virtual Com Ports ActiveX Control
- Provides rich application programming interface (API) for applications that want to create and manage virtual serial ports.
- Free Virtual Com Ports Configuration Utility
- An example of ActiveX Control API client, which provides simple user interface for creation and management of virtual serial devices.
Free Virtual Com Ports currently supports the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit)
- Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2008 (32 and 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)
On 64-bit operating systems, both 64-bit and 32-bit ActiveX control libraries are installed and registered, allowing both 64-bit and 32-bit client code to create and manage virtual COM ports.
Free Virtual COM Ports can be successfully used to:
- create any number of virtual COM port pairs connected via a virtual null-modem cable
- share virtual COM ports data with files and named pipes
- add unlimited number of COM ports to your Windows operating system
- record COM port application data transfer to a file
- emulate rs232 null modem cable
- develop rs232 peripheral hardware
- research the functionality of third-party software and hardware
- implement, debug and test serial protocol between device and device driver
- analyze and reverse-engineer serial protocols
Free Virtual COM Ports can be successfully used by:
- software developers
- hardware engineers
- IT support specialists
- industrial control personnel
- SCADA software engineers
- science technicians
- systems integrators, consultants
- lab experts
- University students
Please use the form below to request a functionality to be included into the product.