HHD Software Virtual Serial Ports is a software package that allows the creation of virtual serial ports.
Created virtual serial port may be used in one of the following ways:
- Connected to a named pipe.
- Other side of the named pipe is usually connected to virtual machine's COM port.
- Connected to another virtual serial port, forming a virtual "bridge" between each other.
Virtual Serial Ports supports creation of both local and remote bridges.
- Connected to two files.
- When an application opens a virtual port and "reads" data from it, data is read from an input file, and when it "writes" data to a port, data is written to the output file.
Technically, the product consists of the following components:
- Virtual Serial Ports Device Driver
- This device driver implements the functionality of the virtual serial port device. It operates in user mode space, unlike most other device drivers, making the system more stable and secure.
- Virtual Serial Ports ActiveX Control
- Provides rich application programming interface (API) for applications that want to create and manage virtual serial ports.
- Virtual Serial Ports Configuration Utility
- An example of ActiveX Control API client, which provides simple user interface for creation and management of virtual serial devices.
Virtual Serial Ports currently supports the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 8, Windows Server 2012
- Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2
On 64-bit operating systems, both 64-bit and 32-bit ActiveX control libraries are installed and registered, allowing both 64-bit and 32-bit client code to create and manage virtual serial ports.